Are you preparing to have a tooth pulled? There are any number of reasons why you might have to get a tooth removed including: a decaying tooth, extra teeth that crowd out others, periodontal disease or breakage or cracks in the tooth.
Regardless of why you need the tooth removed, you’ll have to give it special care once the tooth has been pulled. Here are some of the dos and don’ts your dentist will probably recommend.
Dos Post Tooth Extraction
· Bite on the gauze for 3-4 hours
· Place a bag of ice on the swollen area (10 minutes at a time)
· Eat soft food and snacks
· Increase your liquid intake
· Take the prescribed medication
· Gently rinse your mouth with salt water after 12-24 hours
· Sleep with your head at a slightly higher level than your body
Don’ts Post Tooth Extraction
· Drink warm liquids
· Rinse your mouth for up to 24 hours
· Use a straw for 4-5 days
· Brush, floss, etc. harshly for 24 hours
· Smoke for at least a week
How Long Does It Take To Recover After a Tooth Extraction?
The duration of post tooth removal healing depends on the type of extraction. A simple extraction is used when the tooth has erupted, or is clearly established above the gum line. The surgical extraction is conducted if the tooth is still not visible.
If you have gone through a simple extraction, you will have to take extra care up to 2-3 days. Post this period you can get back to your normal eating activities. For surgical extractions, you will have to limit regular oral activities for 7-8 days. In both situations, your gums may take six to eight weeks to recover completely.
Getting a tooth extraction aftercare yakima is a serious matter that requires some necessary aftercare precautions. Make sure you consult your dentist about what you need to do to heal safely and fast.